Our Babies

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, November 1, 2012

We're Here!

We are here! Actual residents of Misawa-Shi, Japan. This is crazy!! It is absolutely beautiful, quaint, full of lovely Americans and Japanese families and there is SO much to explore and take in. We are within one hour of the mountains and resorts where we will spend the winter skiing/snowboarding and within one hour of some of the most beautiful, rocky coastline in the world.

Noah will start school off base next week. He will attend Pre k at an all Japanese school and wear a uniform. Ellyotte will go to MDO out there as well. What better way to immerse our children!?

I am hiring a mamasan to come in and clean once a week and watch the kids when I need her. They are typically older traditional Japanese women - and are supposed to be the most attentive, wonderful caregivers and cleaners. I am looking forward to all of us learning Japanese culture through having someone come into our home weekly.

Dan is off tomorrow so we are going to go exploring! There are apple orchards everywhere - and about 2 hours away they have some mountains where wild horses run. Bonsais and evergreens are everywhere - it is so cold here and the snow starts in a week or so.

I received my Japanese drivers license yesterday - they drive on the other side of the car and the other side of the road. I am scared to take my SUV anywhere!!!!

The trip over here took about 40 hours total - we were exhausted. But so thankful to be here and a family again in our own home. Gumbo kitty was happy to have us here too.

The kids and I went off base with a friend today and had our first real Japanese sushi - let me say: it puts anything in America to shame! I got an entire fresh order of two rolls for 200 yen (about $3.00). What?! It was divine. I think this might be a good diet plan that I actually will enjoy for the next 2-3 years.

The kids had  a great Halloween. Noah was a ninja and Elly was a monkey. So cute. We went to the squadron Halloween party then trick or treated on our road, which is Commander's Row. It was a fun MOB scene! So cold so everyone had out their firepits and handed out candy - most houses elaborately decorated. I never lived on base before but this is HEAVEN! Grocery store, gym, mall - all within one mile. Not to mention the amazing people who live around us. Truly a patriotic and all American place to be!

Jet lag has taken its toll on us! We passed over 6 time zones (14 hours ahead of Central time - the future) so they say to give yourself a day for each zone to get over jet lag. I cannot sleep past 3 am each morning. And Noah and Ellyotte have wanted to take marathon naps so theyve had some issues at night.

There is so much to write and share. This is going to be the adventure of a lifetime. Stay tuned if you are interested in hearing what living in Japan is truly like!


















1 comment:

LBeck said...

So glad you are loving it thus far! Will continue to pray for you all as life gets settled! Hugs to the crew

Lindsey B