Right after the blood clot "threw" from my leg to my lung, my next door neighboor shared the story of a friend of a friend of a friend of a friend with me. His wife suffered a pulmonary embolism 27 hours post c-section and he'd kept a blog about it since. However, in the haze of blood thinners and anxiety reducers and a brand new screaming baby, I didn't have the capacity or wherewithal to understand what she was telling me. My mission was to survive one hour to the next at that point.
Now, I get it.
That friend of a friend of a friend of a friend (etc) turned that blog into a book.
I was looking for a new book to read on my Nook when I stumbled upon one of the NY Bestsellers. It is called "2 Kisses for Maddy" by Matt Logelin. It didn't ring a bell but it should've. I'd read a review of it a few weeks ago but it was only with half of my attention. But two nights ago, I logged into Barnes and Noble and found "MY STORY."

I began reading it and couldn't put it down. Literally, it was like a car accident you watch - although you don't want to - and you can't turn away. It was our story, my story.
Dan and I began dating when Matt and Liz Logelin began dating; we dated for years upon years long distance; we got engaged at the same time; their wedding happened - lavishly - a month before ours did in 2005; they became pregnant at the same time we did and their first baby was born exactly one month after our Noah was born via c-section.
However... their story ended, while ours continued. She delivered their daughter named Madeline and just 27 hours post c-section, she got up to walk around the hospital room on the way to see her baby girl and literally uttered the same exact words I did when my mom found me struggling to breathe: "I'm light headed." Those were Liz Logelin's last words, but not mine.
My story continued and I went to the hospital to be diagnosed with a massive pulmonary embolism (blood clot in my lung), I walked in with my 6 day old daughter in my arms. She died before ever having held her Madeline in her arms.
To say that this book is rocking me to my core is an understatement. It is my story. Our story. But our's continued. Their's stopped. I told Dan about the book I was reading and he said "What I almost lost is not lost on me." Dan Beall was facing raising two babies alone and I never would've known the joy that Ellyotte Pierce brings to my life. When I say that I am transfixed on that baby girl, I am not exaggerating. She's my world - as is Noah. Not a moment goes by that I don't remember that they were almost without a mommy.
Just a week ago, I had a doctor tell me: "Young lady, you are a walking miracle. I don't have one patient I treated with a pulmonary embolism that survived." Huh?! He couldn't believe that I walked into the ER and was able to tell the personnel that I couldn't breathe... that I was light headed. I love being reminded that my life today, at age 30 (at the time of the PE), is a miracle. That Elly is a miracle; I have heard more than once that the clot should've passed thru her umbilical cord and she should be a stillborn. That I am here to raise a rowdy, accident prone 3 year old is a miracle. And that I am here to love my beloved husband into old age is nothing short of a miracle.
I am reading Matt Logelin's story and thinking of it being my Dan in his position. Laying on that stretcher after kissing my baby girl (6 days old...) and my husband goodbye as they wheeled me to do an immediate ultrasound on my legs to see if there were any additional clots via ultrasound, I thought over and over of that scene from "Steel Magnolias" when Sally Field screams "this baby will NEVER know how wonderful his mother is or how much she loved him." And I thought that Dan would remarry, if I didn't make it. It broke my heart thinking that my babies would never know me or the love I have for their father.
Thankfully, the PE didn't kill me. And I am here. 284 days later. Every moment with Elly is a blessing, every kiss I steal from my redhead is annointed, every secret moment Danny and I have together is sacred. I don't forget to tell my mom and dad how much I love them; my sister hears regularly that I adore her and I am proud of her.
Don't miss the chance to LOVE like you fully can - embrace each moment to love your family and friends like it is your last. Liz Logelin had to leave her legacy for Madeline to learn about through her daddy and her friends. Katie Beall lived - defied the odds - to love like I was born to love. I challenge you to do the same and not leave it to your loved ones to pass along your legacy. Pass along your legacy every moment you are blessed to be on this earth. That is my challenge to you.


3 comments:
It's strange (ironic?) that the events in our lives that challenge us oh so much oftentimes cause us to take the greatest stock in what we do have. I'm glad you are around these 284 days later, and glad you have found many things to be thankful for. Praise God for his healing mercies. Many blessings.
WOW Katie!!! That is amazing!! GOD has a great purpose for you, girl! :) So glad your story continues. It must have been so strange reading that book! MIRACLE!!
What an incredible story and sweet post. I am so glad that the Lord spared you from all that could have happened, and He gave you the opportunity to raise those precious babies in His image. I love that you are so open and vulnerable with your story. Share it, girl! He allowed those things to happen for a reason and you are definitely giving Him the glory with your encouraging words!
Post a Comment