Our Babies

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, May 28, 2012

When I realized

As you all know, I was an active duty Air Force intelligence officer. While stationed in Abilene, Texas (at Dyess AFB) I was selected to be the Bomb Wing protocol officer. I was responsible for planning all Bomb Wing sponsored events and making sure they went off flawlessly.

I worked right down the hall from the commander that chose me to do that job. His name was (he was then Colonel but is now) Major General Harencak - by far the best Air Force officer I've ever worked for or had the privilege of knowing. He knew his "people;" took care of us all, no matter what.

One day in late September 2004, I was at work at my desk in the Protocol office when two Army Chaplains came into the door in the hallway. My Staff Sergeant and I didn't pay them much attention... till we heard the most heart breaking scream down the hall. I tore out of my office and watched in horror as my Wing Commander's personal secretary, Denise Bush, found out her first born, Adam, had been killed in combat in Iraq.

Adam Harris was the gunner on top of a tank in the streets of Baghdad and took a bullet to his 20 year old head.

I literally walked with no feeling in my limbs down the hall to Denise as she stood in the old, nasty bathroom of the 7th Bomber Wing Headquarters building washing her face and sobbing in the sink.

Adam was one month from coming home from a 1 year tour of combat. He was one month from coming back to the love of his life, his fiancee.

I coached Adam's younger brother, Brandon, on the Dyess AFB swim team. Brandon was maybe 8/9; nothing made sense to him. My office had to plan Adam's memorial service at the local Catholic church. I will never forget two things: my best friend, Navy SEAL Jeff N., came to see me that weekend and was one week out from his first SEAL tour in Iraq and he was able to sit next to me and hold my hand in Adam's memorial service. And secondly, I will never forget Adam's younger brother, Brandon, wandering aimlessly out in the foyer of the Catholic church. As meager as I felt - and as his swim team coach - I went to him and just held him.

Brandon is now a teenager and is really doing well: honor roll, athelete. But to me, he will always be the baby brother of Adam Harris who gave his innocent life for our country. And Denise, while one of the strongest mamas I have ever known, will always be the epitome of what our freedom costs us.

I thank Denise, (retired) CMSgt Bush, Brandon and Adam himself. That day in September 2004, I realized what Memorial Day really means - no barbeques, no boat rides. The sacrifice required for our freedom is ultimate. And I am thankful to those like Adam - and my husband, Dan - who so selflessly serve every single day.


1 comment:

lauren said...

such a sad, sweet, and beautiful story. thanks for sharing. and happy memorial day to you all!