I will try to update the list as reasons why hit me and/or we've made a new unforgettable memory - so it will be ongoing until we move in 2015.
Also, don't forget I came to Northern Japan KICKING AND SCREAMING! Dan is a commander here so getting picked up for the position he has was an essential stepping stone to ensuring that he has a long and successful Air Force career. When we arrived (5 months after Dan got here last July 2012), I was FLOORED by the beauty of this place.
1. Absolutely one of the most magnificent, diverse and naturally beautiful countries I've ever seen.
2. The people - albeit a Buddhist nation with mostly atheists making up the entire population - are so serene, accommodating and selfless people. They love Americans and will literally go out of their way to do all they can to make you happy. Even with most of the people not practicing any religion, they still have amazing "moral compasses" and "servant hearts." I've actually said at times that I never, ever want to go back to America to live (visit, yes) because I have come to realize how selfish, self serving, rude, overbearing, and materialistic we Americans truly can be. (My opinion!)
3. The food! When one hears of ramen noodles, you immediately tend to think of the 25 cent bags that got you through your poor college days. But here.... the ramen or yakisoba or udon noodles are all handmade and literally melt in your mouth. And the seafood/sushi is all handmade right in front of you, the fish locally caught and the rice grown in the farmlands around the base. They don't offer drink menus in restaurants - they only serve water which is usually self service. If you do want a soft drink or alcohol, you have to request it separately. Thus, meals aren't overly saturated with the sugar of a soda and you don't take in nearly as many calories.
4. The seasons are extraordinary - when we lived in Hawaii, we missed the four seasons so much. But here, we get them all in full force! The cherry blossoms in the Spring; the green lush trees and flowers in the Summer; the vibrant golds, reds, browns of the changing maple trees surrounding overflowing waterfalls; and finally, the whitest, fluffiest, most peaceful snow falls one could imagine come Winter (our first snowfall was the day before my birthday last year: November 19.) We have a big sled hill in our back yard so that is where all of the kiddos in the neighborhood like to spend their outdoor time each winter. The snowflakes come down so quickly and about the size of dimes!
5. I love driving in Japan. True, we drive on the opposite side of the car, opposite side of the road. But I am so used to it now that I don't know how I will go back to US driving!
6. The cleanliness of this nation is outstanding. NO trash/litter, people respect the earth and their property, they don't let their animals run wild or their garbage to be overflowing near the streets. I've never even seen one cigarette thrown out of a moving car! The bathrooms are so clean and disinfected that one could probably eat off of the floor (though I won't risk it!). The toilets are all works of art - you have about 5 different buttons offering the SOUND of flushing to allow full privacy, a bidet is built into each toilet, as well as disinfectant that is applied post use. Yes, my number 6 includes the cleanliness of potties :)
7. We are 14 time zones away and while I ache for our family (oh man, how I miss my baby sister, Kelly) we feel like we are so far separated that it almost seems pointless to be homesick. Of course, what I wouldn't give to be back at my mom and dad's home at the Waters in Alabama experiencing the best of Troy University's 2013 football season and being able to see my sister and Adam all the time would be incredible and most desired. But when you can't change your situation, you adapt and make the MOST of it! We realize that living here in Japan is a once in a lifetime experience so we made the choice to soak it all up - which we do by adventuring most weekends!
8. Living on Misawa Air Base is an awesome deal - we are 2 mins from the grocery store, the Base Exchange, Noah's kindergarten AND Ellyotte's class at the Child Development Center. I am living the dream - my mom used to walk me and Kelly to school when we lived in Talladega, AL and I am able to put Elly in the stroller, Noah can walk and we all head off to school at the same time as our neighbors and friends begin their 5 minute walk. It is such a sweet time to sing with the kids or pray together before we first drop off Noah and then walk 500 yards across the way to the CDC where Ellyotte runs into the arms of her beloved, SOUTHERN and blonde teacher Whitney! AND Noah's got Spanish and Japanese lessons each day .... in Kindergarten. We are overjoyed by how happy the kids are and the fun friends they are making.
We also have gotten so used to the "Sound of Freedom" that we can all sleep through the many jets that take off each day! Tomorrow is the 2013 Airshow but for the most part the Japanese Air Force is bringing in their jets to do really cool tricks and the base is opened to the Japanese people who come from all over for this annual event. We love to be constantly reminded of the freedoms we enjoy because of men and women serving all over the world - and all it takes is the sound of a roaring F16 jet engine!
I could go on and on but my gorgeous three year old has awakened from a lazy Saturday nap - following Noah's football game in which he scored a touchdown!!! - and she's insisting on playing beauty shop with my hair. Gotta stop here!


1 comment:
Love this update! So glad you are enjoying Japan.
Post a Comment