Our Babies

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Brittany and Baby Shep



Most of you who read my blog know about what happened to our friend, Brittany Shepard Pugh, and her sweet boy, Shep, but there are many of you out there who do not.

Dan and I were in Paris and Rome without much communication back home (except for talking to my folks, who had our babies)so it wasn't till we landed in Atlanta on Thursday that I learned.

I grew up with the Pugh boys: Dax, Clint and Tyson and went to college with Brittany. Brittany married Clint 3 years ago and they had Shep 15 months ago. We communicated a LOT about 'mommy issues' and our friendship over the distance grew that way.

Last Monday, Brittany picked up her baby boy from her mom's house and was heading home (in Troy, Alabama - my hometown). Another car crossed the median and struck Brittany's. She was killed immediately and Baby Shep was lifeflighted to Children's. His daddy, Clint, was able to kiss him once more before they put him on the plane. They worked tirelessly to keep him alive but his heart wasn't strong enough for all of the trauma he sustained. He died Monday night a few hours after his mommy.

The lady who struck them also died that night.

Brittany and Shep were buried yesterday in Troy, Alabama: they are in the casket together. She was buried holding her baby boy in her arms.

I canNOT begin to imagine what Clint, her husband, and what her family is going through. Life is not supposed to end like this - babies are not supposed to die so tragically; mommies aren't supposed to be taken from their children - or WITH their children - nor away from their husbands so young.

I share this with you all - near and wide - so you can be praying for the Pugh and Shepard families. Nothing will bring them back, but our prayers for mercy, strength and grace through this time will help in the smallest ways.

Brittany loved Jesus, so we can be certain that she is holding her sweet Shep in her arms in heaven and dancing with her Savior.

What happened to them is so tragic and so heartbreaking. I encourage us all to love on our children a little more, kiss our husbands a little longer, and be certain - like Brittany was - that we will spend eternity with Jesus when that uncertain moment comes for us too.







5 comments:

Brandi said...

I a so sorry for the loss of your friend and her baby boy. So sad!! Brings tears to my eyes as I think of how her husband must be feeling. Sooo sorry for your loss. I will be praying for your sweet friend's family.

vim+dash said...

oh katie. i am sick. all i can do is pray, "oh jesus, oh jesus" over and over again. i am so, so angry and so heartbroken. i am crying out to the Father on behalf of that sweet man and the immeasurable grief he will wade through until he, too, goes home. boothe

Ashley Knox said...

Katie- I'm so hurt over this! I cannot understand this at all. Thanks for sending me those addresses- my heart is broken for these people. :( I'm sorry you lost your friends. -Ash

Maggie said...

katie that is so sad. I had a friend lose her daughter in Aug and my heart still breaks for her. Her loss was in a car accident too. i can only imagine what her husband is going through, how hard it is for him to function each day, to lose not only your wife, but your son too. How sad and scarey. it is moments like these that we are reminded to appreciate our children and I need that. As you know, Alex just deployed last week, and my patience is already starting to wear thin with my children by the end of the day. It is sad when tragedy has to remind us to love on them and not be so hard on them. I know God had a reason to bring them home suddenly, but that does not make it any easer on those left behind. There was a song that came out a while back that had a lone something like, "God only cries for the living." I know that isn't right, but she and her son are rejoising with Jesus. Prayers for you losing a dear friend and for their family during this exremely hard time in their life.

Elizabeth said...

This was so well written! I do not know any of the families involved, but heard through my friends from home (alabama). I have been heartbroken over this. I have a daughter that just turned one and I think it really hit home for me because of her. I would find myself crying while feeding her and just thinking about Brittany, Shep, and their families constantly. I dont remember grieving about something as much as I have this. But your post was really perfect and meant a lot to me. Thank you for sharing!!