Today has been difficult - actually the whole week has been challenging. Noah and I went home to Alabama to join my family in Mobile to support our TROY Trojans at the GMAC Bowl. As most of you know, my dad is chancellor of Troy University so anytime there is a big event - such as a bowl game - there will always be a week full of events prior that we have to go to.
Noah joined us in New Orleans last year for that bowl game, but he wasn't even a year yet. So he was a more flexible human then. But now that he's 2 in one month, he's not so easy. Fun, yes, easy, NO. He had a blast in Mobile: from the incredible hotel suite with a view of the boats in the harbor and trains coming and going, to the football game, parades, good food and many a marching band. That young man had the time of his life but sleeping in a strange bed in a strange and noisy place was next to non-existant for me and my kid.
And with Dan TDY for a long time, it is even more difficult because I am parenting alone. We had just come off of having the Bealls in Louisiana and Noah had been RUINED with all the attention he'd received over the Christmas break. Then we came straight to Alabama where he continues to relish being the absolute center of his grandparents' universe. Today he absolutely pulled my last chain.
I am already extremely worn thin by exhaustion from this second pregnancy. I am almost out of the first trimester - but am no less exhausted. And I am exhausted from Noah not napping much longer than a half hour, hour at the most and being 110% sun up till bedtime - DESPITE being soooo tired that he looks like he's been punched in the eyes from lack of napping. He's become so incredibly self centered and demanding that, while I always love him, I don't like him much. Couple that demanding attitude with pregnancy exhaustion and single parenting and you have a recipe for a miserable mom. Oh, how I miss my husband!
Back to today.... All day, he's hit me in the face, yelled "NO!" at the top of his voice, run away from me, and the list goes on. When he arched his back in his carseat and refused to be buckled in and smacked me for the second time, I lost it. So, he got a spanking on his thigh. Didn't work - nothing did because he was determined to have his tantrum (the first of so many today alone). I hate responding to his hitting with spanking, but he honestly doesn't respond to any other technique. And that breaks my heart. Dobson calls it a "strong willed child." And I have to agree: I have given birth to the strongest willed child this generation has ever known. Yet on the flipside, he's the sweetest.
Tonight, we went out to dinner and it turned into a dinner from hell. Noah jumped from his highchair, ran from me, wouldn't eat, threw his food, and just embarrassed the mess out of me and then proceeded to SCREAM the entire way home for candy (yet he didn't eat his dinner), so on the way home I had a mild to moderately severe breakdown. It was horrifying and I had reached my limit of being "horrified" by a 23 month old that Dan and I brought into this world. Thankfully, my mom and dad took over and put him to bed (which is still at 6:30, no matter what) allowing me to calm down. But it took a while because I felt like such a failure.
Where have we gone wrong? Why does my sweet child hit me? Yell at me? Run from me? One thing that calms him down is seeing me cry; he will stop misbehaving immediately and come up to me, grab my face with both hands and wipe my eyes and say "mommy, why crying? I yuv you, mommy." Most of the time, that makes everything better. But today, it just didn't help.
I guess I need to get back into the books, the basics: scripture (which I ALWAYS need more of), Dobson, and so many other parenting books I have yet to desire to crack open. For the longest time, I didn't think he was a strong willed child, but these last several weeks and his almost 2 attitude have forced me to change my mind.
I love Noah, I would give my life this moment for him. But to say that I always like my child would be a lie. I have never felt more helpless than I feel somedays when I am faced with a challenging child. Dan and I want to do the right thing in how we parent him but each child is so different that figuring out what is "right" can be daunting and scary. And I am exhausted. I am tired of asking others, reading, trying to rationalize with a toddler! Where's the magic potion to being a perfect parent that raises the perfect child?! I know it must be out there!
I pray that this second blessing from God is every bit as perfect, healthy, beautiful and sweet spirited as my Noah. But I also add to that prayer that he/she be less strong willed, more flexible, and all around easier. From colic for the first 4 months to hitting and yelling the past several weeks, Noah has given us a run for the money; he's not let up once since he took his first breath and I am just ready for a break! Oh, but how I do love that redhead.
Please don't be put-off by my complaining. It is the last thing that I want to do: complain about my healthy and precious child. I guess it is my small hope that there are other friends out there who struggle with the same thing each day and can offer some encouragement or advice. I would never want to hurt God by complaining about petty things that my child does to upset me; He has blessed me and my husband beyond measure. I guess I just didn't expect the challenges that CAME with those boundless blessings!


4 comments:
katie.. if it helps Allie went through the same thing last fall and it was soooo frustrating! I swear nothing made my skin crawl more than when Allie would smack me in the face. The only thing I could do was take a deep breath and discipline her, even when she would laugh back at me. ugh. Just keep it up he will get out of it. Allie stopped after awhile.. just took lots of consistancy and LOTS LOTS of patience!
Sorry I don't have the magic formula.
I will offer you my most sincere sympathy.
I remember recently going thru a tough time with my son. I stood at the kitchen sink and cried while he held onto to my legs and cried. I called my mom and said,"I love him, but I don't like him right now." She did something wonderful by just letting me vent. She reassured me and told me to call back anytime.
Being pregnant while caring for a toddler is difficult to say the least. Hormones alone can cause anyone to feel that there is no light at the end of the tunnel and if there is then it's probably a freight train. On top of that it seems that mommy guilt waits around every corner in decision making and disciplining.
But let me say that first, what you have posted here is NOT whining or complaining. You always acknowledge the Lord's blessings and goodness in your life. You are simply being honest and I appreciate that.
Second, I would be more concerned if you never acknowledged any struggle in mothering your little guy. You love him, therefore, his actions of disobedience pain you.
Let me suggest that not one of these incidents in and of itself is bearing the full load of shaping you or Noah. Consistency will pay off.I think that mothering can be compared to a marathon. Let the Lord be your endurance. Claim Lamentations 3:22-23.
I hope none of this came across as 'preachy'. I only want to encourage you and thank you for your vulnerability.
By the way...the transition of having a second child was much easier than having a child in the first place, for me.
Disclaimer: I am writing this as I am away from my little ones for a week with my husband. As of late my time with Lord has been neglected. I'm hoping to gain a renewed passion for Him (the Lord) as I have time that is quiet this week.
*Praying for you now.
I agree with Amy...consistency, consistency, consistency is the only way to go. I, too, have a very strong-willed, independent child - I keep telling myself that it's truly a blessing and I wouldn't have it any other way. That doesn't mean it's not hard, though. And kids ALWAYS know how to kick you when you're down...like when hubby is away and you have no relief. Hang in there!
ladies, thank you so much. i needed this. today was just as hard as yesterday, and the days before. noah has seen me crying too much lately and it is unsettling to him. i only wish he could understand WHY i am so upset! thank you so much, i appreciate you being so sweet to me and encouraging.
Post a Comment