Our Babies

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Boys Will Be Boys

What a DAY!

Our (almost) 3 year old, Noah, and I had a long day: he was obsessed with making me his playmate all day. I don't mean at different times throughout the day - I mean, he made me play with him all day. And after a long month of traveling and parenting without the help of Mother's Day Out, one could say that I was moderately exhausted and ready for him to go back to school.

I had just gotten Ellyotte down for a late afternoon nap and was playing on the floor with Noah and his magnetic numbers when he popped up and ran out our back door (which was open because it was a gorgeous day outside). Within 15 seconds, I hear a crash followed by Noah hysterically crying.

He came running inside and was gushing blood from his chin. I didn't know what to do: Ellyotte had begun to scream from her room, Dan was still at work and there was blood everywhere.

Long story short, I called my neighbor Michelle to come keep Ellyotte, I called my friend Season - who is a nurse - to come check out the injury before Dan got home and I got my things together because I knew we'd be heading to the ER!

We waited for about 3 hours before getting a room (crazy Wednesday night in the ER, apparantly...) and Noah was far past his bedtime at that point. The doc came in and told us that he would definitely need stitches and we chose to not put him completely under and do local anesthesia. Good long term option, but terrible for the short term.

They wrapped his little body in a sheet to keep him from hitting, a nurse held his legs, another held his head, the doctor did the stitches and to top off the horror of it all, they covered his face completely with a sheet. He was beside himself. And so were we. The doc looked up mid-stitch to make sure I was okay (I wasn't).

I wanted to claw my skin off with each terrified scream from Noah. He screamed for me, for his daddy, for it to stop and when all else failed, he pulled out his super defiant "Go AWAY!" and yelled it at the doctor. It was so pitiful. When it was over, his little face was swollen and his eyes almost swollen shut from his hysterics.

But, he's home, got some Tylenol in him (and some ice cream) and is finally asleep. He will have his stitches for a week before getting them removed. Boys will definitely be boys... Noah proved that tonight when - after recieving his stitches - he asked if he could be wrapped up like a "burrito" again!

Needless to say, Dan and I each had a stiff drink when we got home and got the sweet little man and his sister to bed :)



1 comment:

Debbie said...

Poor baby, and poor mommy! So sorry- I'm sure that was very difficult to go through as a mom. It's always so hard to see our kids suffer, it reminds me of the Lord's relationship to us as His children, and the care He has for us (much more than the huge amount we have for our kids!). I'll be praying for his speedy healing. Glad you're all ok!