For example, Dan and I went home to Alabama last weekend and got to spend some much needed time with my family. Our dear friend Rob Beckenhauer (one of our groomsmen and one of Dan's childhood best friends) was in Montgomery at Squadron Officer School and he got to spend the weekend with us. Then not 5 days later, his sweet wife Lindsey, their daughter Allie, his mom and dad and their dogs came through Louisiana to spend the night with us on their way to Alabama to see Rob. Noah and Allie are 2 months apart and seeing them together at this "toddler" age was PRICELESS. We had such a wonderful time spending incredible time with the Beckenhauer family.
Another example of a great friend being totally selfless despite what is going on in their life is my friend Barry. Barry has a ton of things bogging him down right now, but you better believe he's calling me on a regular basis just to pray for me. I feel so humbled everytime my phone rings and I know it is him just calling to say he loves us and have him pray for us. In addition to his selfless friendship, Barry has begun collecting phone cards GALORE for Dan to take on his deployment to use to call back home from Afghanistan! What an AWESOME gift - thank you Barry! The Bealls love you.
And just when you need "pick-me-ups" by way of telephone calls, God always provides. This week has been reallllly hard for me - I am realizing minute by minute how scary our situation is and I have needed my friends. My precious friend Derek called me out of the blue the other day and even though he had sad news to tell me, he chose not to so I could cry to him and he could be there for me. He's allowing me to just be myself and weep to him and he NEVER tells me "Oh, it's gonna be okay" or "You are so strong, you will get through this." He says, "You know what: this sucks and you are dealing with a lot. But WE are going to be fine because WE are going to get through this together." AWESOME and much needed. He made sure that I heard WE because it isn't just me in this - it is everyone who loves me, Dan and Noah.
I just want someone to hear me like Derek did - this is a horrible situation and I don't want to be strong, I don't want to just "pull through." I DO want to cry about it for a minute and be sad and have a 5 second pity party because I haven't yet done that. So, I ask that you allow me some moments of selfishness because I need them right now! Then, once I am over it, I will pick back up and be strong again. But right now, I don't have the energy. I need my Derek and my sister, Kelly, who will look me in the eye and say "WE are pulling through this because WE love you and WE love Dan." I am a blessed girl.
Here are some great photos from our last week of fun time with friends in Bama and our Beckenhauer visitors here in Louisiana.


2 comments:
You are more than allowed to have a pity party, Katie. You can't always be strong and pull through - many times over the next year and a half you're going to want to have a pity party and cry and be sad and mad and angry that your husband is gone. It's allowed - it's completely normal. Of course you'll pick yourself up afterward and keep going; it's what military spouses do. Just know you can always call me when you're having one of those parties - I'm pretty experienced with them! I have had them countless times with my sister while her husband spent three tours in Iraq. We're all keeping you and yours in our thoughts and prayers.
Thanks, Lisa - I include you in that WE circle of friends I was talking about ;) You are awesome and I need you too!
Post a Comment