Wow. That's all I can say: Wow. Last year, my parents hosted Karl Rove at Troy University. Through that visit, a friendship was born between my mom and Mr. Rove.
On the eve of Obama's inauguration, I was so heavy hearted. I was in desperate need to express myself, so the best I could do was to write President Bush a letter of gratitude. I posted it on our http://www.babybeall.com/ website so that one day, Noah would know how much his mom (especially) and dad supported our former president. NEVER, EVER did I imagine that President Bush would actually read that letter. But just today, my mom sent that letter onto her friend, Mr. Rove, and Mr. Rove responded immediately and told her "Janice,... I will pass Katie's wonderful note on to President Bush. Many, many thanks..." So, since President Bush is apparantly reading my letter to him today, I thought I would share that with you as well as post the letter here for those of you who didn't see it on our baby website.
_________________________________________
[Written on the night of 19 January 2009]
Much of the rest of the world may be rejoicing tonight that it is the final 12 hours of George W. Bush's presidency. However, my heart is heavy as we say goodbye to an outstanding leader, man of character and Commander in Chief. I will forever be grateful that his name is on my Air Force commissioning certificate and that he was my boss for the time I served on active duty. To have served such an honorable man, I am thankful.
While some of his decisions were questioned by many, and while the majority of Americans ridiculed him outwardly, my family and I chose to stand behind him and lift him up in prayer. President Bush is a man of faith, who includes God in his decision making process and for that very reason, I felt safe with him in the White House.
Tomorrow, the course of America's history changes. In comes the celebrated Barak Obama and out goes the mocked George W. Bush. How horrible of a nation are we that we have disrespected a man who stood in front of the world on September 11, 2001 and reassured a broken people that we would seek out and punish those responsible for the horrors that were committed on American soil. He chose the course and he chose to STAY the course. Right or wrong, he did what he thought was best for us as a nation. No matter how one agrees or disagrees with his choices, one cannot deny that the changes we are seeing in Iraq now as they stand up as a democratic and free nation are a direct result of President Bush's determination and vision. It is heart breaking that for all that he has done right and for how much he clearly loves this country he has selflessly served for the past 8 years that we as a nation are kicking him out of the door without so much as a thank you. Many are hoping it hits him in the back as he leaves.
While we may not all agree with the Bush policies, none of us can deny that he led the United States of America through one of the darkest times in our history. And he did so with his head held high and with his decisions decisively and firmly made. I slept soundly with him as our leader, I am thankful for him and for his service.
Tonight I sign off with the meager words "thank you" to President Bush. Thank you for doing the best you could given the terrible circumstances you faced. Thank you for sacrificing the past 8 years of your life to serve a cause greater than yourself. Thank you for standing firm and tall against those who wanted nothing more than to see our nation fall. And thank you for seeking out the wisdom of our God everyday. You will continue to be lifted up in prayer. I miss you already so much that my heart aches and I will pray for vindication for you. I am confident that one day in the near future, the rest of the world will realize all of the great, great things you accomplished in your time in office and they too will be grateful.


2 comments:
Katie...how awesome that you followed the Spirit's leading in writing that letter!! How awesome that President Bush will read those sweet words! Your letter says what my heart and soul has been screaming as well. What a joy that he will be encouraged by those words!
Wow...Katie...loved it! And so true! I just want to hug him! I'm so glad he will read that and know that many love him and support him.
Ashley Bussey Woolley
Post a Comment