Our Babies

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Nightly Routine

Our nightly routines are so precious to us now that Dan is home and will be for the near future. Noah still goes to bed very early - in fact, he now requests "night, night" if we aren't moving towards his room fast enough.

Noah eats dinner at 5:00 pm and watches "Sesame Street." He usually inhales whatever I put before him because he plays SO hard all day. His favorite foods are brocolli, fresh cucumber, yogurt, string cheese, cheesy scrambled eggs, corn, PB&Js, and chicken. He also devours any kind of fruit. Sure, he will request a popsicle or a cookie from time to time but for the most part, he will choose fresh foods first (not like his mama!).

Bathtime usually starts around 5:45 and lasts a good half hour (if he's in the mood); his daddy usually does his bathtime - he's much more fun! Afterwards, Noah dries off and then he and Dan come sneaking around the corner to whatever room I might be in at the time and do his quiet "Super Baby wrapped in a towel" surprise! I adore that moment of my day - and Noah gets such a kick out of "surprising" me.

We get ready for bed and Noah curls up with his dad and a cup of milk to watch - get this - "Seinfeld" every single night. I am not kidding! I have a mini-me of Dan Beall. Dan can repeat word for word each episode of "Seinfeld" and now Noah asks for and expects to watch it at the end of his day!

Around 6:30 (or whenever their show is over), we get told by Noah that it is time to go "night night" and we all three head to his room. If Dan is lagging behind, Noah will yell "Come on in, Daddy" until Dan gets into his room! He's a bossy lil man :)

Dan and Noah curl up in his big boy bed and read a story - usually Noah's favorite "Kiss, Kiss" or my childhood favorite "A Pig's Tale." While Dan reads to him, I either get his room picked up or rock in our beloved glider that will soon make its way to Ellyotte's room. Once they are finished, Noah will bring me his blanket to "rockie." So Noah will crawl into my lap and we three will say our prayers together - at the end, Noah gives a hearty "AMEN!"


Dan will then say his goodnights and close the door behind him. We have an awesome noise machine that Noah sleeps with along with a Mozart for Babies CD that will play until he's asleep. I will rock Noah for about 5 minutes and then will lay him in his bed. Most nights, he wants me to rock while he gets comfortable - which I do. Then I kiss him again, tell him I love him and leave him for the next 12-13 hours.

Most nights, he will sleep from 6:45 pm - 7:00 am. WONDERFUL! And he will take an hour and a half nap. It took some work getting him used to his big boy room but now, he loves being in it and in his bed. We are very thankful for the amount of quiet time we get together at night and I love knowing that Noah will wake up happy and feeling secure in his room in the morning.

I would trade nothing in this entire world for the nightly routine that we have. It may sound mundane and boring to some people, but my little family thrives on that nighttime ritual and I wouldn't have it any other way.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

So sweet Katie!! Night time is about the only time we have a routine too! Nothing like winding down with those you love...YOU are a blessed woman! :)

mjs said...

how precious! we love night time too! love both of their rooms! great job :)