Our Babies

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, August 21, 2009

Deployment

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”-- Joshua 1:9

Many of you found out this morning (and some last night by phone calls from either me or Dan or us both) that Dan will be deploying to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom with the Army (mind you, he's an Air Force intelligence officer....) for a total of 15 months. Yes, we just got to Barksdale and yes, it doesn't make sense that he's going in support of the Army troops on the ground. But, this seems to be the hand we have been dealt so we are choosing to trust God's plan for our life and take it in stride.

Normal Air Force deployments are no more than 6 months. Anything longer is considered a short or long tour. Unfortunately, this won't even count as Dan's long tour so we are really upset about that. That will mean he will still have to do a 1 year remote (i.e. Qatar or Korea or Iraq or Afghanistan again) tour of duty again soon. And this particular one isn't a cushy deployment, this is Dan going into the actual war zone in Afghanistan - something we never thought possible. Ever.

Dan says if he wanted to fight the war on the ground, he would have commissioned into the Army or Marines... not the Air Force. And we understand that military families all around the world are going through this very same thing, but that by no means makes it any easier. Why's he going in support of the Army? Well, because the Army has tapped all of its resources in this ongoing war. The Army's looking to the other branches for resources and personnel support. Dan's going to a place that we have been in actual war status against for 8 years now. His primary job will be to continue to establish relations and Democracy within the Afghan population.

We obviously are having to reconsider when we will start trying for baby #2 since at this point, Dan won't even return back home till after Noah's 3rd birthday (in February 2011). So that throws another wrench into this deal - if we do conceive baby #2 anytime soon, Dan will miss the entire pregnancy and the first 9 months of our child's life.

I have gotten a lot of phone calls of support and I thank those who have reached out. Please understand that I am not in a "chatty" mood just yet and don't want to talk about it right now. We are going through various stages of coping and grief and are spending as much time as possible together before he leaves, which he will leave for training very soon.

I am doing all that I can to be supportive and be strong where my husband is weak. He's so sad to think of leaving us - especially Noah - for so long. I cannot imagine the amount of pain he feels when he has to think of being separated from our boy and his best buddy like that. I ask for prayer because I don't know if I have energy in me to be as strong as I need to be. My defenses are already weakened from the amount of stress and change we have experienced in the past months of moving and changing our entire lives. But I am called to be a strong and steady fixture in my husband's weakness so I am determined to find that strength within me - for my husband, my boy and our parents who are beside themselves right now.

To ask any of you to fully understand what we are going through emotionally is futile so I ask meekly that you please pray for us right now. Pray that if this isn't what God has for our family that He will PLEASE take this from us. We are on our knees here and I ask you - our extended network of friends and family - to please join us.

** I uploaded a few of the photos I actually have of my handsome hubby in his uniform. The one of him by himself was taken when we were stationed in South Carolina about 4 years ago. He's now a Captain so his rank on his uniform has changed. **

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Kate. I'm so sorry. Especially that this deployment doesn't even count as his long one. I can't imagine the dread of knowing another one will come too. Why are they asking (making) him go with the Army... and for so long? What are the circumstances that brought that on? I don't understand how the military works. I will keep you and your boys in my prayers FOR SURE! And God will give you the strength, you are one of the strongest women I know... God has prepared you well and will continue to support you through this. So will we. I love you.
Kathrine

Jacob and Crystal Krausz said...

As always, sweet girl, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I have been there, done that, and know exactly what you are going through. It takes very special women to "deal" with the rigors of being a wife of a man in uniform. I feel confident that God does have a plan!

Much <3!

The Lynch Family said...

Katie, we will be praying for you during this difficult time. I have a friend that just returned from a deployment with Army Special Forces and my friend is a general surgeon in the Air Force. I am wondering if this cross over thing is becoming more common. I know Bruce's time is coming, but I don't know how I will manage. Be strong and know that he will come back safe and sound.

juanita said...

Oh Katie, I am soooovery sorry. what a blow!! I do pray for your strength and peace--and if is God's will, things will change.
Thanks for keeping us involved with the heart ache that you are going through.
My Love, Mrs. B.

Matt said...

Hi Katie,
I'm sorry to hear about the deployment - it sounds very unusual. I'm sure it will be a real challenge for you, Dan and Noah and I hope you will lean on your support network to help you through. Mandy and I are thinking of you and will be praying for you all regularly.

Carrie said...

Wow! I didn't even know that someone in the Air Force could be deployed with the Army. I will be praying for you, Dan, and Noah. We serve a great big God and he will carry you through this.

Courtney said...

Katie, I am hurting so much for you right now! I cannot imagine how overwhelming the future seems. I know God has his hand on your husband, and He can provide you the grace and strength to make it through the next 15 months. I will be praying for you every time I think of you!

Anonymous said...

Katie- I am SO sorry for the difficult time your family is experiencing right now. My husband's uncle has been over seas 5 times now in his career, and will soon be headed back yet AGAIN! Our family knows how you feel....She had three small children while he was gone. Just know that we will pray for y'all CONTINUALLY and we hope and pray that God's will is carried out.... If this is not meant to be, then it won't be. Let us know if there is anything else that we can do for you.

Adrienne and Jarett Maddox

The Farmers said...

Katie - The Farmers will be praying for you, Dan and Noah! We have to trust that God's plan is good and it brings Him glory! When you are weak HE is strong!!
Blessings -
Hollie

Cheri said...

Katie, my heart goes out to you, Dan, and Noah. I cannot begin to imagine how you are feeling...You will be in my prayers. Jeremiah 29:11...one of my favorites!