Our Babies

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Blood Clot Update #2

Things are continuing to improve around here. Dan gets so mad at me because I just want to be NORMAL again and I think that moving around and doing chores makes me "normal" but he gets so angry with me because I just don't know how to relax. I am feeling somewhat better but it is a daily challenge.

Unfortunately, my c-section incision got infected a few days ago. I think the pain of breastfeeding, the infection and just still recovering from the blood clot (that is still in my lung at this point) that I had a scary situation happen Friday night.

Ellyotte woke for her feeding at about 4 am and I got up, went to the bathroom and as Dan changed her diaper, I went into the living room to get my Boppy pillow. On my way through the living room, I doubled over: I had ringing in my ears, I couldn't see anything and the worst part was that I couldn't breathe. (Remember that what sent me to the hospital to begin with was shortness of breath; we never knew that shortness of breath was a symptom of a blood clot.)

I sat down for about 2 minutes and tried to yell for Dan but nothing could come out loud enough. I made it back into our room and remember telling him that I couldn't breathe, and he freaked out. He put me back into bed, finished changing a hysterical and hungry Ellyotte and we began praying immediately. We honestly didn't know what else to do - I absolutely refused to call 911 and leave my Noah and Ellyotte again. Refused.

So we prayed and I regained my composure, fed the baby and tried to sleep some the rest of the night (didn't happen). The next morning, we called the doctor and she called what happened to me by some name I had never heard: basal something... Cannot remember. But I guess that the pain of the infection, engorgement, exhaustion, and low blood sugar caused the reaction and that spurred some anxiety. Because it went away, she didn't worry too much about it. But I have my appointment with my internist tomorrow and am anxious to see what she says.

I will also have another appointment to get my incision taken care of - my OB didn't want to put me on antibiotic over the weekend because of all the meds I am already on. She wants to see if it will clear up on its own... so I will see tomorrow. It is feeling a bit better already though and I am thankful.

Ellyotte was under her birthweight last Wednesday (born at 7 lbs, 14 ounces and weighed 7 lbs, 9 ounces at 2 weeks). So we doubled her feedings and low and behold: our little porker weighed in at the doctor yesterday (Saturday) at 8 lbs, 3 ounces!!! So we are very glad about that. She's doing great - definitely a cuddler though! She doesn't want to be put down at all - even after her midnight feeding. She's next to impossible to put back into her bassinet afterwards so I end up putting her in bed with us so I can get some sleep. I know, I know... not a good habit to start but rest and sleep are the most important things I can do for myself and this clot now so I am doing what I can.

Speaking of which, she's now asleep and Dan and I are headed that way. Dan goes back to work after a long, exhausting 3 weeks off - and I have appreciated every single minute that my precious husband has sacrificed to be my arms and legs when I haven't been able to do for myself. He's done things that we never knew we were signing up for 5 years ago... I will elaborate in a new post soon. I cannot express though what he means to me and the depth our love for each other has reached in this difficult time.

My sweet mother in law comes in tomorrow to help for the next week and we - especially Noah! - are so excited for Grammy to get here. Then she leaves next Monday and Aunt Annie (Dan's brother's wife and one of my best friends) comes on Tuesday for about 4 days. We love the help and I am going to LOVE the girltime!!

1 comment:

The Reeves Family said...

Take care of yourself!!! Think of those precious babies!! They do need their mother but for right now let someone else do it so they can need you later!! You are in our prayers. Both of your babies are just adorable, I love your pictures and updates!