It is great to be back home from the hospital. The babies are so happy to have me back home. Ellyotte and I are slipping back into a feeding routine and I am happy. I do have to nurse her a lot more during the day but I realize that is because we are still working on the amount of milk she needs vs. the amount I actually have at this point. Being back in the hospital without my baby for those 3 days did a number on me so we have some more work to do until we are at a comfortable, working feeding level! But praise God I am able to nurse this time around: I am so glad she's a good nurser and I am so thankful that vast amounts of medicines I am now on due to the clot are safe enough for breast milk (I don't know how they are safe, but the doctors and lactation consultant assure me they are...).
Ellyotte is the most wonderful baby. Noah was so colicky by the second week and I was so miserable and uncomfortable as a new mom. This time around, I feel more confident and relaxed and it doesn't hurt that Ellyotte absolutely isn't a cryer unless she's wet or hungry; and even then she doesn't really cry, she just squawks!
She is incredibly beautiful: blue, blue eyes and black hair. Her complexion is very olive - a lot like the Hawkins side of the family (my dad, sister and my dad's sisters and brother). Noah got my Irish side and Ellyotte got the American-Indian side of my family. But, while the coloring is from my side, the looks (especially Ellyotte at this point) are all Dan's. She looks a lot like her daddy and is just gorgeous. She sleeps soooo much right now and is incredibly happy when she's awake. She wakes for one night time feeding at this point (whoo hoo!) but that is partially because I wait to give her a nighttime feeding till late - right before we go to bed.
I am being poked and prodded still - home health care and the shots in my stomach daily are realllly annoying and I am covered in bruises and needle marks and getting lots of blood drawn daily but I am not complaining (even though I want to).
This is a painful and emotional time. Each day I am realizing more and more how blessed I am that this was caught. And I am also going through a lot post surgery emotionally and post baby emotionally. There are a lot of tears being shed regularly in our home right now. We feel so blessed on so many levels. God has spared us and I am grateful and trying not to take a single moment for granted.
Medically, I am doing okay. Weak and unfortunately the clot is still in my lung. I am still on bedrest and that is tough - I am not good at relaxing! I don't seem to have any more clots in my legs that we have to be concerned about and my blood levels are rising daily. I need to be between a 2-3 and on Thursday, I was a 1.1, Friday I was a 1.3, yesterday a 1.7 and we are waiting to get results from my blood work today. Still double doseages for my thinners till I am at a safe level so we are praying that will be soon.
Here are some beautiful pictures of our little ones. My heart is overflowing with love and thankfulness right now.


2 comments:
Katie, I am so very thankful for your health. I have wanted to call but know you are so busy. Please let me know if there's anything we can do! Love you! mjs
I love the new photos. The ones of Noah and his sister are precious. Thanks for the update. I can only imagine the emotions pouring out of you, cause I remember my emotions that first week and I didn't spend days in the ER! Continued prayers from the beckenhauers. Hopefully we can skype soon. Love from us!
Post a Comment