Our Babies

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, May 25, 2009

Service

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: boys
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow


This weekend has been a long one. Noah and I went to a playdate earlier in the week and both ended up with a raging cold/cough that really did us in (well, me more) for a good 72 hours. Then after Dan's 2 weeks straight of working, he finally got some time off. But within 2 days, we had committed ourselves to 5 PARTIES across this island! Whew. We are worn out - especially Noah who continues to sneeze everywhere. Poor baby.

But despite the back-to-back events of the weekend, there is so much to be thankful for. First of all, we got our orders that make official our transfer to Louisiana so that is an answered prayer. Now we are in the sticks of the moving process with tonnnnns left to do yet. But, we are able to start really scheduling the move, flights, out-processing appointments.

This weekend has also allowed us some much needed time with friends. We have been able to celebrate those we love most here on the island: my girlfriend, Lori's little girl, Tessa, turned 1 and had a fabulous island style birthday party at beautiful Bellows Beach on the east coast. Then we went to spend some time with Dan's work friends and their families. And today, after church, I was able to help celebrate my dear friend, Christen, as she prepares for the birth of her firstborn, Lexi (due in September). We have been truly blessed in our 3 years here with friends who really do love us.

Today in church, our sweet pastor called for those serving in the military to stand up - along with their spouses - so the congregation could lay hands on them as we prayed for the service members. Of course, Dan and I stood along with several other couples. It was so moving to have hands of fellow believers laid on us as they lifted us up in prayer. I often take for granted that my sweet husband gets up at the most random of hours, puts on the uniform of an active duty service member and goes into a job that is very stressful.... and NEVER complains. Not once. He just serves and for that, we should all be grateful.

Memorial Day isn't about politics or where we stand on this current president's policies; it is about being thankful for those who have given all that they have in honor of our country. Aside from being a mother, wearing the uniform of an active duty service member was the absolute highest honor that will ever be afforded me. Serving this country both as an Air Force officer and now an officer's wife is extremely humbling and I am very grateful for the freedoms that my family experiences because of the brave men and women of this country: both on the front lines and on the home front.

Today, I am thankful for my brave husband, for our friends and loved ones who have sacrificed so much and continue to sacrifice for this great nation. Soon, Dan will inevitably be heading overseas to once again fight for the freedoms we hold so dear. When that day comes, Noah and I will be very proud to help him pack his bags and stay behind to pray for him.

My sweet friend, Meryl, is about to send her husband Rob off for 6 months and I thank her for her service in Virginia as she not only stays behind to raise their boy, Rowen, but she does what she does best: save lives as a doctor (she's one incredible woman! I encourage you to read her awesome blog.)

You will never understand what it means to be thanked for your service. So today, I encourage you to thank a member of the military or a family member of a military man or woman who has sacrificed so much. I cannot describe the gratitude one feels when they are thanked for their service.