I just put our boy down for the night yet the tears that were flowing because of the story that I read to him refused to stop. Noah loves to pick out his bedtime story and usually it is either "Courdoroy" (from Aunt Annie!) or "A Pig's Tale" (one of my 2 favorites from my childhood - my Mom-Mom used to read it to me). But tonight, Noah chose one from the "top shelf" where the most special books are placed. **Note: those previously mentioned 2 books are also from the top shelf... Noah's got great reading taste!**Noah's Grandma Carol (Dan's mom) is a school librarian in Virginia so we can count on the best of the best children's books to be given to her first (and so far, only) grandson. One of the sweet books she gave Noah for his 1st birthday was "On the Night You Were Born" by Nancy Tillman. Tonight, that was his pick for his bedtime story.
Dan finished bathtime and Noah and I were ready to read as we settled into the rocking chair for his bedtime story and prayers. Let me tell you: that book is by far one of the most precious, touching bedtime books a mother can read to her child. Here are a couple of excerpts:
"On the night you were born,
the moon smiled with such wonder
that the stars peeked in to see you
and the night wind whispered
'life will never be the same.'
Because there had never been anyone like you... ever in the world."
The book ends with the most touching part of the story:
"Heaven blew every trumpet
and played ever horn
on the wonderful, marvelous
night you were born."
I was becoming very emotional as I read that to Noah because if I ever had to put into words the emotions I felt on the night he came into this world, they would sound a lot like the words in the conclusion of that sweet story.
Thank you, Carol, for sharing your wonderful taste with our Noah. I know that the books you give to him that we read to him daily will help shape him into the confident and loved man of God that we all pray for him to become. Thank you for your love of the written word and thank you for giving Noah one of the most precious books that we will ever read to him. This story made my night!


3 comments:
Sounds like a super sweet book! We'll have to get it! Nora LOVES to Read too! We also have "Top Shelf" Books. But, now that she is Three, they don't quite stay there! ;) Thanks for sharing!
What a small world.!! Nancy Tillman is the daughter of one of my best friends grades 1-12 in Brundidge, Al. Nancy lives in Portland Org. and is a very talented young mother. I can't wait to tell her mother about this.
Juanita Bush
Mrs. Juanita, it is a SMALL WORLD!! My mother-in-law has fabulous taste in books and this one tops my "favorite" list. That is so wonderful! Maybe she can autograph Noah's copies of her books one day!
Post a Comment