
Of all things... we finally were able to have our great friends, Jason and Christen Tebedo, over for dinner last night. Jason just got back from 15 months in Iraq and Christen is 16 weeks pregnant with their first baby. Christen is the first friend I told in person when I found out we were expecting Noah. She's a dear friend to me and we were so excited to have them over to grill out last night.
We put Noah down at 6:30 (he's been boycotting his naps this week so bedtime has come earlier) and were enjoying just catching up and cooking dinner. We have a massive pewter serving collection; most of which we keep on top of our cabinets on display. I was mid-conversation with my friends and reached for a salad bowl (NOT a light item. Pewter is heavy!) and accidentally bumped the dish propped behind it which caused the bowl to lurch forward. I ducked and it hit me square on the upper right hand side of my forehead.
I began seeing stars and hit the ground. I put my head in my hands, covering them in blood. Christen immediately ran to me with a cloth and said "Sweetie, we need to get you to the hospital." At that point, Dan came in from turning off the grill and calmly said, "Baby, let's get your sweats on and get to the ER." It was that bad.
Thankfully, dinner was prepared and Noah was asleep so Christen and Jason were set for a date night in our living room! On the way to the ER (about 30 minutes - and only about 15 miles... - from our house), I got the most intense headache of my life. It caused me to almost vomit which led both of us to think I had a concussion. They checked me right in and got my vitals. It wasn't a busy night in the ER so that was a huge blessing. Several times I thought that the pain in my head was equal to or worse than childbirth - there is nothing as painful as taking a 10 lb bowl coupled with gravity to the head!
The doctor gave me the option of stitches or Dermabond. He said that because it was a clean laceration (about 2 inches long) that the Dermabond glue would be better because it allows for less scarring but either way, I had to be sutured quickly. At that point, I was so sick from the throbbing and exhausted from crying that I didn't care what they did. I wanted to go home and get into bed.
Thankfully, I don't have a concussion or any severe head trauma but today I have developed a grapefruit size knot behind and around the cut. It hurts, my body hurts, my eyes hurt and I am exhausted. Dan was off today and has been incredible - he's had such a great time with Noah and has really taken care of me. I am thankful for my husband. And I am thankful for great friends: Jason and Christen watched Noah late into the night and then my friend, Stacie, from here in Hawaii made a massive spaghetti dinner today and brought it over for lunch. She's coming back tomorrow to hang out with Noah so I can rest while Dan is back on shift. I feel incredibly blessed.
I hurt but am very grateful that it wasn't a serious head injury. Painful and humiliating, yes, but not serious.

