Our Babies

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Back on Track

Wow, that didn't take long at all! Noah is back to two naps a day - each one lasting at least an hour to an hour and a half. This morning, he woke up after 12 hours of straight sleep, ate breakfast and with the rainy morning we were having, wanted to go right back to bed. He is just waking up now after 2.5 hours. HALLELUJAH!

My girl friend Anne Rieger gave me some good advice. She told me that what worked for her was deciding a nap time and sticking to it. But making sure that Noah knows I mean business when it is time to nap. So, I did what she said. The first day was a little tough but he's back on schedule and knows that when he gets put into his crib, it isn't time to play but is strictly time to sleep. And I have decided that no matter what time he wakes up, if it is before the time I decide for him to get up, then he stays in his crib.

We were somewhat doing the above tactics but traveling threw us off quite a bit and it has been a struggle since to regain the freedom that naptime affords me. So, once I lay Noah down, if he pops up again in protest, I go right back in and put him back on his back. The first day, it took 20 times and a couple of flicks on the leg (not spankings, but a snap or two to get his attention) and he finally protested himself to sleep. Same thing for each nap since then. But today, he went down without any peep.

I will keep you all posted on how things continue but so far, so good! I ordered two books this week that I am anxious to read (I know, that takes my list to 10!). The first is "No-Cry Method: Nap" and "The Happiest Toddler on the Corner." Both books boast about being the go-to texts on child and toddler napping help. I am looking forward to reading about how much I DON'T KNOW about making my child happy :) Just kidding... not really.