Our Babies

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Monday, April 20, 2009

Days Gone By?

This is just a short blurb to vent my frustrations.... Previous to our trip to Alabama at then end of February, Noah had been a fabulous napper. Taking 2-3 naps a day that extended well into 1.5 - 2 hour timeframe. However, since our trip and then since our return to Hawaii, napping seems to be a thing of the past.

His molars STILL haven't popped through. 3 of the 4 1 year molars are sitting just below the surface underneath painful looking blood blisters. But I refuse to give my child - and his tiny liver - Motrin everyday. And I am tired of rocking... and rocking... and rocking a 14 month old. No, I don't coddle him but sometimes I am so desparate for some time alone that I will do anything to get him to nap!

He's sleeping 12-13 hours at night and maybe sleeps a total of 1 hour in the daytime despite sheer exhaustion. He lays down on the dog bed to show me how sleepy he is, for crying out loud! Another thing we deal with constantly is that everytime he's in his crib (exception is the nighttime), he poops. I am so tired of reporting my child's pooping habits but it seriously is a nap-hindrance. Even if he's in a dead sleep, if he poops, he will become wide awake and naptime is over. Sometimes that means he gets 10 minute naps a day!!!!

Anyone else go through something similar at this age with their little ones? If so, I need some guidance. I hate to say it, but at this point, I am counting down till we can get moved and Noah is enrolled in a Mother's Day Out program so I can have some downtime to do the other things in my life that have been ignored for so long (i.e., bills, housecleaning, a SHOWER!).

Advice is greatly welcomed and appreciated here!



3 comments:

Katie said...

Anne, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE! I needed that email more than you can imagine. I will try your method tomorrow.

Nicole Bolinger said...

Audrey (my youngest) has never liked to nap. she is the queen of power nap! It kills me b/c Nora doesn't nap anymore and sometimes I need more than 20 minutes for a break. Anyway, Sudrey took a nap in our bed this morning for THREE hours. We have a sound machine so I am thinking I need to buy her one for her nusery. So, I am in the same boat with you when it comes to nap time! Hopefully Anne's advice will work, if so pass it on! ;)

Katie said...

Hey Nicole, I actually just ordered the book "No Cry Method: Naps" as well as "The Happiest Toddler on the Block". I am looking forward to them coming. Babies their ages NEED sleep day and night. A non-napping baby is an overtired baby. So I am doing everything I can to regain control of naptime! If you want, give me your email address and I will send you my friend Anne's advice. This is our first day trying it and it is WORKING!