Our Babies

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, April 10, 2009

TU: Look Out!

I have just been officially hired to be a political science professor for Troy University! Yep, that's right.

It is funny how life goes from point A to point B to point, I don't know, N, so quickly. It seemed like just yesterday that I was a high school student in Troy, Alabama and had no idea what I wanted my life to become, let alone what I wanted to eat for lunch. And then I blinked and I was a freshman at a college that I completely despised (Samford University) and begged my dad to allow me to transfer back to the school I wanted to run fast and furiously away from: Troy University.

The years flew by and all of the sudden, I was a 2nd Lieutenant in the active duty United States Air Force training to be an intelligence officer. Next thing I knew, I had met and fallen madly in love with my future husband, got out of the Air Force, married Dan and moved half-way across the world where I decided - somewhat haphazardly - that I would begin my graduate studies using my GI Bill and I would pursue a Masters in Public Administration through Troy's eCampus.

Somewhere along the way, I got hired to be a contractor at US Pacific Command Headquarters and then got pregnant towards the end of my contract so I chose not to renew it in order to be a stay at home mom. And here we are, about to move to another place (still don't know... any day now though) and before I know it, our Noah will be going to "school" (i.e. Mother's Day Out) so he can make friends and I can teach my classes each term!

So back to my days as a high school student in Troy: I had no idea where life would take me but I am so thankful that I made the choices that I made - many good and many not so good - so I could now have my MPA so I can now begin building my teaching resume at my favorite school in the world.

We move this June/July time frame and I have opted to not begin teaching courses till the October - December term so we can get settled in our new home and I can have ample time to refresh my expertise in the two areas that I will be instructing. I will be teaching POL 2241 (American National Government) and POL 4421 (Principles of Public Administration) for Troy's undergraduate Political Science department through Troy's eCampus. Although I was an English/Spanish major in my undergraduate years, it was because I received a Masters in Public Administration that I am now qualified to teach Political Science courses... not really where I thought I would begin my teaching career but I am thrilled nonetheless!

My longterm goal is to receive my Doctorate in History with my expertise being in the field of Holocaust studies. I haven't started my doctoral studies yet because I needed a bit of a break after my masters degree was completed in December. It was TOUGH to finish that degree while having a newborn (don't recommend that!). But I am researching the programs that interest me and look forward to not only teaching but becoming a student yet again in a field that I am passionate about. I won't begin teaching for several months but I am thrilled to be hired and excited to get started as a professor for my alma mater!